08 August 2011

Endogenous Retroviruses and a Different Writing Style

One of the blogs I keep an eye on is erv, Endogenous RetroViruses, by Abbie Smith.  Not the usual language you'll see here (some over PG-13), and certainly different style (Abbie doesn't believe in the ', for instance).  But for some discussion of biology, particular parts involving viruses and especially endogenous retroviruses (surprise), it's a good place to go.

I'll note that back when I was thinking about blogging, Abbie was one of the people who gave me some ideas on approach.

Some articles to take a look at for a sample of the blog:

What is normal, and how it matters in examining bees
Open Access Publishing -- and some limits
How immunization works
Antivaccinationism and death by measles
AIDS and CD4+ T-cells
Blood groups and viruses
Antibodies and dengue
Pursuing science and results
Zinc and the common cold
The Timetree of life
Scientists being slandered
Scientists and media

3 comments:

jre said...

Abbie's blog has always been a lot of fun, not least because of her rather freewheeling orthography. I had not been back for a while, and enjoyed catching up. Thanks for the reminder!

And while we're admiring web presences, let me say that I have treasured your web site since the days when it was a heap of incredibly valuable information in ASCII. So, thanks again.

Robert Grumbine said...

Thanks for the good word.

And if it turns out that some good climate science blogs are missing from my roll, please do let me know.

jre said...

Well, since you ask ...
Isaac Held has a really good blog over at GFDL:

http://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/blog/isaac-held/

But you probably knew that, being in the same disciplinary neck of the woods and all.

On the science advocacy side, I think Scott Mandia's "Global Warming: Man or Myth" is worth a look:
http://profmandia.wordpress.com/

Looking over the variety of climate science blogs available, I am encouraged to see a growing number of working scientists (like you) make the techniques more available to young folks and to rank amatoors (like me). For too long, a passion for the details has seemed to belong only to politically motivated cranks.